Genesis 1:3 (Hebrew)



Genesis 1:3 (Hebrew)


hello it's Friday and so it's time for Genesis Genesis 1:3 and so we've done Genesis 1:1 in the beginning God created the heavens and

 the earth and we've done Genesis 1:2 and the the earth was formless and void chaotic and there was darkness over the face of the deep and the Spirit of God was hovering over the face of the waters and so now we

 get to verse 3 can you translate it here's what it means and God said let there be light and there was light so it's a fairly short verse we have chaos and God says let's turn some lights on in here by yo mer Elohim yeah he or Baia he or so anyway so it's a fairly fairly


 brief verse ooh how did I do that okay and for free you've got to see what we did on Wednesday so again I'm doing the situation

 which is the Greek Old Testament on Mondays and I'm doing the Vulgate on Friday on Wednesday so it's Friday but it's Hebrew day so let's go into the translation so Bob if you see a bob on the front of a word it is almost certainly the word and now sometimes it doesn't mean and sometimes it

 means but I mean or it can mean can translate it now sometimes it does some other funny things but if you see a bob on the front of a verb or a word actually you see

 a bob in the front of any word it's the conjunction Bob it can mean lots of different things but it's the conjunction bomb in almost every case there are few weird places in the Psalms I think okay so and yo mare is

 said when you you have this fatah cand doubling bob patate doubling it's a situation called a converted imperfect so the you know it doesn't mean it's become a Christian although we hope for that but it's you means

 I mean converted imperfect is actually not very good language I think real Hebrew scholars don't like saying that anymore the reason for that is and I'm getting way ahead

 of myself is there to two basic tenses in Hebrew there's the perfect which means complete and there's the imperfect which is incomplete and so the imperfect tense because it's incomplete as often you say of

 the future tense and so your default beginners translation for an imperfect would be something like he will say but this

 doesn't mean he will say this definitely means he said this is when you see a bob Batak doubling it is a true past tense it's it's in fact you might say it's neither perfect nor imperfect it's an artifact of an earlier stage in in the in the Hebrew language when they

 actually had a true past tense maybe even before it became Ebru and so you know back in Semitic prehistory and so you don't need to know anything of what I just said but so this is a this is uh and he said and this is the subject God Elohim God said as we've said

 before in Hebrew the the subject usually comes after the verb Elohim the word for God is a is a fascinating word because you can see that it took a verb in the singular this is singular and so God said the verb is treating this word as if it's one thing but this ending here at goat men as you would learn in a beginning Hebrew course is plural this could be translated as gods and in fact there are some places in the Old Testament where

 it does mean gods or angels perhaps so anyway but it's treated as a singular because God is one God and so of course we might first think of the Trinity but of course Moses wouldn't have understood the Trinity I'm not saying Moses was the author of Genesis I'm

 just saying but that no one would have understood the Trinity prior to you know actually three several hundred years into Christianity you know 325 is where the Trinity is really kind of true true you nailed

 down so it would be anachronistic to think of this as the Trinity now God may have been thinking it hey Gabriel watch this they won't get it Moses going to get this one you know but so this isn't God said we're gonna

 see that a lot in Genesis 1 and God said yucky or or means light this is or and this is or and this means oh and said God let be light and was light so let be let it be let it be this is a form I will analyze on the next slide

 this is very similar but there's a difference this is Bob Bob Batak and it should have doubled but there's an obscure there are lots of obscure Hebrew phonetic rules one of them is is that if you have a Shiva under a

 letter that would have been doubled the double doubling am-scray double ha I'm not going I don't like frog I'm not gonna double in this right here and so the doubling is gone but that should have been Bob doubling in some pure pure imaginary form so but but the Vava Tok doubling completely changes this from a what's called a Joseph let it be to

 again a true past tense and it was anyway okay well a little bit of grammar so I've already said that this is a conjunction junction what's your function a Bob now I say Bob that's the way they say it in modern

 Hebrew the older older Hebrew teachers used to say Wow anyway but I'm going to say Bob it is a converted imperfect as I said G or call Q al simply means it's the glorious ROM

 it's not changed its its its base stem converted imperfect is this old language I need to I don't remember what they they call it now but the idea was the Bob converted it

 from the future to the past anyway never mind so imperfect because it has so the perfect tense the completion tense tends to put extra letters on the end the imperfect tense the the incomplete tense tends to put

 letters on the front okay and it's from Ammar most Hebrew verbs are based upon three core letters and then you add stuff on the front and the back and sometimes in the middle but there's the three letters and it's

 added that on the front because it's imperfect and then on the front because it's and okay this here he is is adjusted again and basically it's from hi yeah the verb to be

 and so it's third singular meaning it's a he actually I could put third masculine single on my Greek is is messing me up here I feel

 better today's a third masculine singular meaning the subjects a he there's a different form for she light is a masculine word which of course gender in Hebrew doesn't really map to sexuality okay so just it means it's a command and you'd see it's chopped the final hey off which is a again something that

 happens in the justif and it happens here and they converted and perfect this is converted perfect as I already said the the

 doggish went away the doubling of doggish it's a doubling baggage it's gone away so this is and he it was and light was this again is a

 converted imperfect it's a call or G call means light Q al it's the old way of referring to the stem just hold that thought until we get to a different stem third mask and seeing

 it from hi Jana again but this is adjusted let it be and this is a converted and perfect it was well that leaves us with the letters so let me let me show you the letters again show

 me the letters I won't do that again I'm not going to do the vows yet eventually I'll do those but I'll assume you're just learning the consonants right now where the letters Bob

 yo'd W Aleph mem reish a la flama D hey Urich men notice this is the mem in the middle this is the mem at the end it's the final form this is a medial form although Hebrew doesn't have any letters that are different on the front or in the middle Arabic

 does but in Hebrew this form is used both at the beginning of a word and in the middle of a word and this form is just used at the end there are only four letters that have that

 different final form fun remembered correctly okay so I hope you can hear me I've got a little microphone here nearby maybe it's too far away I moved a little closer so this is Yoda Yoda Olive Bob and that that Holum

 should be over the Bob that happens sometimes with the the way I'm doing this there it's fixed now the whole looms over the Bob Pollin Bob but above Rach Bob yo'd hey

 hey this is called a Mac F it's just a - Aleph Bob Rach and there's another this is called a Sosuke it's basically this sentence is done the end of the verse basically okay this has been

 Genesis 1 3 and so on monday we'll do the Greek Septuagint translation of this and on Wednesday we'll do the Latin and then we'll be back Lord willing next Friday with Genesis 1 4 in Hebrew we'll see you then 

God bless you 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

how to pronounce peniel in the bible

Liberalism Comes in Right-Wing and Left-Wing Varieties. Christians Should Reject Both.

Christian Aid Agencies Have a New Approach to Famine