How to Learn the Hebrew of Genesis 1:3 Hebrew Word Walk Bible Study - Translate Hebrew to English

 

[ ]


How to Learn the Hebrew of Genesis 1:3 Hebrew Word Walk Bible Study  - Translate Hebrew to English


Welcome to Bible Word 


Well, today we're walking through Genesis 1:3. The Hebrew of Genesis 1:3 is


Vayomer Elohim y'hi or – vay'hi or. Let's walk through


that


our first word, vayomer – and just like before 'v' by itself is its own word, and


then 'omer' Okay so I just want to say we've got a short one today. You know


some Bible verses are really long some of them are very short and so each


of these text is going to vary in length. So today we've got a short one – really


it's only three words because we've already dealt with Elohim and we've got


'omer' 'y'hi' and 'or' Because y'hi and or are repeated in this verse, really


we've just got three words to go over so, lucky you! Our first word is vayomer


and here we start again with 'v' our friend 'v' - and, and then 'omer'


omer means speak so vayomer, and speak, and spoke, and said Elohim so vayomer


Elohim. Now in English our word order is different but I told you in the


Hebrew

beginning that Hebrew is very different from English so we're going to have to


adjust our English word order, but vayomer Elohim – and said Elohim. So, and


Elohim said. Now most – that's not exactly right – a vast majority –  that's not right either. 


More


than half of the English versions say, "And God said," but almost as many, it's not


quite an even split, say "Then God said," Then is fine. I like then. But I think


for the way we're telling this story, I think for the way this story is trying


to tell itself, 'and' works better. So we're going to stick with and. "And Elohim said,"


We've already covered Elohim so let's move on to our next word. Our next word


Bible Study

is y'hi or – actually y'hi. Y'hi. Now y'hi is a form of hayah which is


'to be' so y'hi is to be. So 'be' is really what y'hi means.


There's no 'let' like in the sense of allow – "let there be light"


let there be – it's fine I mean as I said earlier, we're trying to get the meaning


into English so sometimes we have to flesh things out a little more. In any


language going from one to another, sometimes you have one word in your


source language that really requires multiple words in your language in order

to get the meaning across, and it works the other way too. Sometimes multiple

words, a whole sentence in one language can be rendered in your language very

simply with one word or an expression, especially with slang. Well in this case


we have it like that. So "let there be light" that's fine and almost every


single English version says that, let there be light, and there was light.


Every single – almost every single English version says this. But this was one of

How to Learn

the most, first most exciting studies for me when I first began to look at Hebrew.


And why? Because the way it's presented "Vayomer Elohim, y'hi" it's like he's


just saying "Be!" Just be! Now imagine you overheard me, you can't see me, and you


overheard me saying, "Hey John!" What would you expect? You would expect that I'm


addressing someone who I know, but from my tone you could probably


gather that I know this person really well, so some high level of intimacy and


a friendliness too. I know this person and I like him,


"Hey John!" Now, if you overheard but also observed me and I was all by myself


sitting in a restaurant booth, I'm all by myself there's no one else across from me


and I say, "Hey John!" and the second I say it there's a person facing me who looks


like what you would have expected. Somebody who knows me and we're friends.


The very fact that the conceptualization of this person who I know so well, when I


spoke their name that whole idea was represented right across from me, came


into being right there. That's how I see this creation of light. I see it as


though God had the complete conception of what he wanted already in mind and


the very act of addressing it caused it to be there just like he thought. So


that's how I see this verse. It's like he's all alone, he's got nothing


he's got this tohu va bohu below him, he takes his breath and he says, it's


almost like he addresses the light, "Hey Light!" and then there's light just like


that. That's the way this verse really appears to me. Y'hi or, vay'hi or! It's


just like that. So that's how I see this verse it's like he's addressing an old


friend and the fact that he addressed it caused it to exist. So, y'hi, it's like


'be' I think that's much more powerful than, let there be, like, hey guys


what do you say, what do you think why don't we do this? No, for me it's more


like this intimate, direct expression of an idea and the expression of it causes


it to exist when it hadn't yet. Y'hi


And so that brings us to 'or' or is light. Or. Or means light. That's pretty


straightforward we can stop right there. But you know me,


we can't stop right there. Or means light. Now a lot of people complain about the


Bible and they say the Bible is stupid because here you've got the the Bible


saying that God created light – but there's not even any Sun! Not even any


stars! Come on! How dumb is this Bible? Well, it's not dumb. The Sun and the stars


aren't the only places light comes from. You say, but in this in this primordial


creation of the universe there would be no other source of light, in fact they're


called sources of light – luminaries. All right fine.


If you're a scientist – remember I said the Bible is not trying to be a


scientific paper. The Bible is truth poetically expressed. So God said, "Be


light" and if you're a scientist and you believe in the Big Bang then your


concept of this period of time, this state of things would be what you call a


singularity. Everything that has ever been, could ever be is in one


infinite, infinitely small point. So it has no form, well that's perfect, it's


it's empty of life, again that's perfect. The singularity has


everything that's going to be and so according to the Big Bang Theory it all


explodes at once. An instantaneous burst of pure energy.


Well light is pure energy so that's that's exactly perfect. If in the


creation account in our verse here the very first thing to be brought forth –


– he created everything – but if he created everything and it's this


singularity, has no form no life and the very first thing that he brings forth is


light, then that's perfect for you! If you're a scientist and you like the Big


Bang coming from a singularity, then the the poetic way of expressing it to say


that God said let there be light and light is the very first thing – well there


you go it's perfect for you!


Our last word, 'vay'hi' and 'or' again. Vay'hi or, and light!


And we close our verse off rapidly and nicely


Vay'hi or. He says y'hi or and what do you know y'hi or! So, it's hard for me it's


been very hard for me to figure out how to best render this into English because


in Hebrew it's the same word but in English it can't really be the same word


it'd be like saying be light and then light beed. You know it's it's hard for


me as a storyteller to think of the best way to put this together. But I think, I


think we'll we'll be able to pull it off. In the rest of the accounts this word


y'hi is used in in another combination. 'y'hi chen' and that is


after he's done this this this this this this this throughout a particular day it


always ends with y'hi chen – and it was like that. God said, be this do that do


that do this let there bla blah, and at the end of the day there it all was. So I think


that's the way we have to look at this second y'hi in our verse here. So God


said, and Elohim said y'hi or, vay'hi he or. So we've got so far there was


tohu va bohu, and now we have light, so this is a real the real beginning of


creation and God's hand is active and so that's where we're coming


we're getting things because of God's activity and so it's interesting that


this same language is found by Jeremiah when he laments the state of things as


if God had retreated from everything. And in Jeremiah 4:23 and on he says, and I


looked at the earth and it was tohu va bohu, and at the heavens


and their light was gone. The fruitful land was a waste.


Well he's looking back at this creation story and he's saying well God took


tohu va bohu and brought forth light, now I'm looking at the state of


things and the light is gone and it's all back to tohu va bohu again.


Well, that's very frightening from Jeremiah's perspective. Okay so how are


we going to render this verse? Let's get our running start. To begin with, Elohim


created the heavens and the earth. Now the earth came into being formless and


lifeless darkness and depth while over the waters Elohim drew breath. And Elohim


said, "Be light!" and light came to be.


Alright well, thanks for walking with me and stay tuned for just a brief little


additional bonus about this lake that we've been walking around. Alright


see you next time.


So I'm being told that by the local people here that these tiny little


springs that that I think are neat are the last remnants of what used to be


pretty nice geysers here. And what happened is not too far away there's


another crater, actually one of the largest craters in the world and they


have begun to use it for geothermal power. And somehow their excavations have


released pressure that used to come up through this part of the lake and


shoot up these big geysers and so they've actually completely removed the


tourist attraction that used to be here or the better said natural feature that


used to be here with many hot springs and geysers. It's just one little example


of how interconnected God's creation really is.


God bless you 

Bible news x 






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

how to pronounce peniel in the bible

Liberalism Comes in Right-Wing and Left-Wing Varieties. Christians Should Reject Both.

Christian Aid Agencies Have a New Approach to Famine