genesis 3:16 hebrew
genesis 3:16 hebrew
hello and welcome to this week's Hebrew this may be the last Hebrew I do in a little while unless my demand is drops way off I find that people on website are more
interested in Hebrew than Greek for some reason so if if as I shift to revelation in the next few weeks a verse from revelation each week in Greek if the demand drops way off
then I'll say well obviously Hebrews where the demand is well go ahead and see if you can translate this first line if you have some facility with Hebrew all ha ha what is that - to the woman this is l2l not this is not the word for God ale this is the preposition el to
the woman hey I normally taper talk doubling but the olive said I don't do doubling and the the doggish the dot of doubling that they tried to put in there bounced back and made up a talk into a commas not really but anyway so this hay is
Serpent's wrongdoing
the word duh and then is sha the woman true the woman so the setting the context is God is about telling the consequences of
Adam and Eve in the Serpent's wrongdoing these are the consequences and here's the consequences to the woman to the woman
Ammar to the woman he said nice little diamond there I forget what that accent is is called its first one I've seen in Genesis of that type it's a very pretty little accent isn't it doesn't change the meaning at all he said and to the woman he said Harbaugh this is a
infinitive absolute I think and with the hay on the front I'm guessing it's a a causative that is an H an H or he feel infinitive absolute something like causing to multiply I will multiply this is a Hebrew idiom where you dying you shall die and some try and translate it differently in English surely you will die that doesn't quite get a doesn't dying you will die multiplying causing you to
multiply I will multiply causing to multiply will multiply it's a caught a playa NASM a fullness it it expands the the intensity of the statement causing to multiply I will multiply so so this form here our bear is a imperfect Rob in the middle is to multiply and so the olive on the front says that the subject is an
eye I will multiply I'm going with will because it's imperfect it's kind of a default beginners translation so causing to multiply I will multiply your pain its votin a cop I'm sorry it it's phone ache your pain and this accent here it is pointing in the direction let me see if I can get the mirror of the
recording right it's saying tada it's saying the next word is important so these two words see that little accents pointing in this direction that's pointing to the next word which basically says these two go together your pain and your childbirth and the way we bring it into English is something like
pain and your childbirth
your I will greatly multiply the pain of you of your childbirth that's not exactly was it said what it says because this is an and but your pain and your childbirth so that's the kind of the first sentence here the your is the
at the end here is your and notice it has a a silent schwa which basically says that it's the it's a feminine you're we're talking to the woman right so you may remember if you have a really good memory that we've seen
kah with the Komets in it for for your when it's referring to a male your so the serpent was construed as a male but here and of course I believe it was Satan you know in
hindsight but so this is your as a feminine word your pain very long word what if this is a loanword from another language Hebrew well it's it's a it's basically at sev
with an attitude I guess that's a bone or something so never mind that what I just said long he pretends to have core work
words with the core of three letters so I will multiply your pain and your childbirth the pain of your childbirth and so there's a period there bah let's have Sekulow so go skull in this is in in pain same word basically
although this is a variation on it with a nun your pain in pain you will bring forth sons and daughters of course it's not just saying well when you have a this is by the way an argument that it is it is inclusive implicitly
inclusive because this is not saying that women won't have painful childbirth when they when they give birth to girls obviously that's not true and so even though it says sons it is including daughters and so some versions actually add sons and daughters because the daughters is implied even
though it's not though it's not said explicitly it is implied that the masculine form covers both sons and daughters so it's a dynamic equivalence so in pain you will bring forth
too many letters
so this is yell 'add the yo'd has gone away because first Joads sometimes do that it's this is kind of it's a weak situation as it were the first Joad says there's too many letters
around here I can't handle it and it goes away but anyway so this is Yellin old Y ended but the table on the front and the yode on the end again imply a feminine you so
anyway tick tally um for those of you who've had Hebrew and have memorized paradigms so you will bring forth sons in pain okay this is consequence number one of the fall by the way I don't know anybody
there might be some wackos out there but I don't know anybody who would say and therefore you must not thou shalt not take an epidural when you're in in other words modern science has made it possible to
alleviate the pain of women in childbirth so even though this is a consequence of the fall that is it describes it describes a consequence of the fall it does not prescribe
in other words we should not it would be it would be completely whacko crazy and I'm sure that there are people who after watching this video would say huh maybe I shouldn't let my wife have an epidural that is a bad person okay this is a crazy person you should not listen to if we if we can
Jesus came to redeem
alleviate the consequences of the fall if we can make the world more like the Kingdom after Jesus right Jesus came to redeem the fall Jesus came to undo the fall if by the grace and redemption of Christ we can undo
the consequences of the fall of course we would that's what salvation is right that's what eternity is that's what the kingdom of God is that's what heaven is and so it would simply be perverse I'm gonna say it it would
be perverse to say that these consequences are a dictate after Christ they are not a dictate after Christ and so take that epidural if you want to all right and that sets us up for the the final line of of this verse which says
and to your husband and to your husband will be your desire meaning you will desire your husband you will long for your husband but he will rule over you not the consequence you want it's kind of like you
and of course I I debated them though is the meaning of desire here positive or negative and this is not a word that's used a lot of times in the Hebrew Bible it is used three times this is the first room and the other two
places where it's used it has both a positive connotation for desire in Song of Solomon and negative connotation for desire in the next chapter and so I think where I'm at is well this is where I'm at that we should take
this as desire it could be a positive desire it could be a negative desire the woman will desire her husband but he's going to not reciprocate he's going to dominate he's going
Cw to edit and again sometimes that's not going to be good when he when he dominates and so the sense here one sense of this sentence is the woman will long for her husband but he will not reciprocate in
kind that's one interpretation and it could also be a prediction of patriarchy and if so then we see that that patriarchy is a consequence of the fall now again let me go back to what I just said about childbearing in the kingdom of heaven there will be no patriarchy what does Jesus say they neither
marry nor are given in marriage in the kingdom of God there is no subordination of wives to husband's in the kingdom of God and what does Galatians 3:28 say in Christ there is not male and female it's worded very uniquely by the way because it seems to allude to Genesis 1:27 which says male and female he created them Galatians 3:28 says there will not be male and female it Galatians 3:28 is worded like this in Christ
there is neither slave nor free there is neither Jew nor Greek order flip there there is not male and female it's worded differently than the first two I think to echo
Genesis 1:27 that the that in a sense the distinction between male and female even in creation is undone in some respects in Redemption it's improved upon and here this is a consequence of the fall so the male domination is a consequence of in this verse
but in Christ it is undone because Christ died for the sins of Eve and the sins of Adam in fact that's an sometimes an interpretation of first Timothy 2:15 which says the women will be saved through childbearing again
women from the curse
one interpretation of that verse is that the birth of Jesus by Mary is implying the ultimate redemption of Eve that the women who are in Eve in a sense they are born in Eve like all are born in Adam that in a sense
the childbearing of Mary has brought about the salvation of women from the curse of Eve that is part of this verse again this verse I take as descriptive of what has happened that men have been abusers men have been
dominators but that's not the way it will be in the kingdom of God that's not the way it will be in heaven that's not the spiritual ideal and therefore if we can make the the world more like heaven now why not we did
it when we abolish slavery right Colossians doesn't say there will be no more slavery Colossians accommodates the culture of the day and says slaves obey your masters but if we can make the world more like Christ if we can make the world more like even the secular world if we can make it more
egalitarian we're in Christ there is not male and female why wouldn't we it would be perverse not to write to do anything different would be to settle for the world that needs redeemed when we can have the
world that is redeemed well let me just mention the next verse or the next chapter where these same words are used sins desire this is talking to Cain since desire is for you but you must master it an echo of this verse I think where sin is longing for Cain but Cain
has to rule over no it's a kind of a strange parallel to be honest but it does suggest the desire can be negative that there may be
some cases where the woman will want to dominate over the man and that's no that's no better than the man dominating over the woman both of them are fallen stances the
domination of one over the other but you must master it you must be in control of yourself here for Cain but notice in Song of Solomon the the woman says that my husband's desire is for me and so here is desire so desire can be in a positive sense
and desire can be in a negative sense but in any case this is not prescriptive but this is descriptive of the fallen world well there you have some thoughts on Genesis 3:16 and next week we will come from with a verse
from Revelation chapter 3 behold I stand at the door knock it will be our verse for next week so we'll see you then
God bless you

Comments